Students in USAO’s history department study everything from the earliest records of human civilization to contentious contemporary issues and use the perspective gained from studying the past to better understand both the important differences between and the striking similarities to the problems we face today.
Cicero defined the liberal arts as “those studies worthy of a free person,” and at USAO, we believe that any such education requires a thorough knowledge of the what has come before us.
A deeply interdisciplinary degree that teaches students outstanding writing, research, and analytical skills, our history majors often pursue careers in business, government, or teaching, and many continue their education in graduate, law, and other professional schools.
Why Major in History at USAO?
- Learn from diverse and dynamic instructors who inspire you to succeed.
- Gain important insight into the forces that have shaped human history.
- Examine the reasons why societies have developed and collapsed.
- Analyze primary sources with a critical eye.
- Conduct in-depth research on a wide variety of historical subjects.
- Learn skills necessary for success in any number of post-graduate programs.
- Pursue original research with opportunities to present and publish.
- Small classes: expect an atmosphere where your professors know your name.
- Interdisciplinary core courses provide students with the skills needed for the job market.
- Museum Director
- Public Policy Analyst
- Civil Service